The Lark Ascending
While listening to The Lark Ascending (Part 1), close your eyes and let the music form a scene in your imagination of a particular place. As you listen, consider the following points:
You may also want to review the Poem that the piece is based on.
- Where is your scene? (garden, seaside, city?)
- What do you see? (animals, people, water, trees?)
- Does anything particular happen in your scene?
- How do you feel in this imaginary place?
- What features of the music evoke those ideas/feelings?
After the music is finished, tell a partner or your class about your scene, using as many descriptive words as possible.