This works really well for JK to Grade 3, and is a life-saver for a substitute with no musical training. Many of the books also work well with Character Education.
I have a number of story books that have a song on CD or cassette. The sub can simply play the CD/cassette and turn the pages for the students, then, if there is time, read over the words with the group, discuss the message and pictures. A box of shaker eggs or castanets or other simple percussion instruments can be given to students to play along on a second reading, and kids can get up and move as well.
A list of good books for this activity:
– We All Sing with the Same Voice (As seen on Sesame Street) by J. Philip Miller and Sheppard M. Greene
– Don’t Laugh at Me by Steve Seskin & Allen Shamblin
– Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault
– Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter Yarrow & Lenny Lipton
– Peter and the Wolf: 2 versions, 1 is Walt Disney, the other is Illustrated by Peter Malone, Retold by Janet
Schulman, Recording by the Cincinnati Pops direct. by Erich Kunzel, publ. Alfred A. Knopf
– There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback (comes with a DVD)
– What a Wonderful World by George David Weiss and Bob Thiele, illustrated by Ashley Bryan
– Ellison the Elephant by Eric Drachman
– Baby Beluga by Raffi, Illustrated by Ashley Wolff
Submitted by Karen Ross